Kauai Economic Opportunity, Incorporated (KEO) is a private non-profit agency which was incorporated on March 16, 1965. The agency began as a local community action program under the support of the Office of Economic Opportunity (OEO). KEO is a multi-purpose organization with funding from a variety of sources which it uses to plan, conduct, and evaluate a broad range of human development programs. The agency is the only human services organization on Kauai, whose purpose is to serve the low-income.
KEO has administered a variety of community service programs such as: Title XX Home Management and Chose Services, Consumer Education, Emergency Food and Medical Services, Economic Development, Transportation, Child Care, Language Arts Multicultural Program, Head Start, Emergency School Aide Act, Elderly Nutrition and Wellness Programs, Shoppers Program for the Elderly and Disabled, Horticulture, Employment Training, Family Development, a Community Anti-Crime Program, Mediation Program, Legal Services, Group Homes for Mentally and/or Physically Challenged Adults, Wilson P Cannon Youth Volunteer Program, Homeless Programs, and other programs for the disabled, Hurricane Relief, and Food Services.
KEO's Mission: "To alleviate poverty on Kauai."
The promise of Community Action: "Community Action changes people's lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities and makes America a better place to live. We care about the entire community, and we are dedicated to helping people help themselves and each other."
Goals of KEO:
- Identify causes of poverty
- Develop comprehensive plans to alleviate the causes of poverty
- Assist in providing decent health and living standards
- Develop and administer programs where the community will benefit in alleviating the causes of poverty
- Engage in economic activities that contribute to the lives of community members and help them attain independence and self sufficiency
- Secure and use available resources in an amicable way of reaching people in need and elimination of poverty
- Continue to broaden the resource base to battle poverty through various grants, trusts, and foundations that are available
Kauai Economic Opportunity Inc. 2804 Wehe Road, Lihue, HI 96766.
(808) 245 4077. Fax (808) 245 7476. Email:
KEO is a Kauai United Way participating agency.