(Formerly LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program)

H-HEAP provides energy assistance once a year. A federal program, it results from the coordinated efforts KEO (a Community Action Program), Hawaii Gas Company, Kauai Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC) and the State of Hawaii Department of Human Services.


Kauai residents may qualify for one of two H-HEAP programs:

ENERGY CREDIT (EC). Applications are accepted during the month of JUNE for one time only assistance that is deposited into the resident’s utility account during the latter part of the year to help offset the energy costs of the household.

ENERGY CRISIS INTERVENTION (ECI). A one-time only assistance paid to the utility company to restore or to prevent the termination of electric or gas power for the residence.

In addition, KEO administers the separate Emergency Electric Assistance Program, which provides emergency assistance to KIUC customers who are past due and unable to pay their electric bill.


H-HEAP serves those with a household income of no more than 150% of the Federal Poverty Level (see below). For Energy Crisis Intervention, applicants must have a final or shut off notice from the utility.


To apply, provide the following to KEO

  • Completed H-HEAP Application.
  • Current Utility Bill
    • that matches Residence address (if utility subscriber is different from applicant, they must sign a required form and provide photo ID.)
  • If applying for energy crisis intervention,
    • Final or Shut Off Notice.
  • Photo Identifications
    • for ALL adults living in the household.
  • Signatures
    • of ALL adults in the household
  • Social Security Numbers
    • Cards for ALL household members
  • Proof of Birth Date
    • Proof of birth date for children under the age of 6 and adults 60 or older.
  • Proof of Income
    • Pay stubs since January,
    • Social Security Award Letter, SSI Letter,
    • Welfare Determination Letter,
    • Unemployment Determination Letter, etc. whichever applies for all members of the household.
    • If self-employed bring Tax Returns and quarterly or semi-annual filing.
  • Proof of Citizenship
    • Passport,
    • Birth certificate,
    • INS Form I-94, etc.
  • Proof of Current Residence
    • Verification that you live at the subscriber address that is listed on energy bill (i.e. rental agreement, gas or water bill, etc.)

*Regardless of income, if there is at least one person in the household that receives SNAP (Food Stamps) or SSI benefits and all program requirements are met, household may be eligible for an income exemption.


1. Replace regular incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs

2. Use fans instead of air conditioners

3. Shorten showers

4. Fix leaky faucets

5. Wash clothes in cold water

6. Eliminate energy sneakers (phantom loads)

7. Air dry dishes

8. No peeking

9. Install motion/occupancy detectors indoors and out

10. Use Energy Star Appliances